The Austerlitz Democratic Committee is committed to open communication and dialog about the happenings within our wonderful town. Several of us attended the February 26, 2015 Town Board workshop and regular meeting. Here are some of the highlights that were discussed:
- Town Hall property purchased: The new Town Hall property acquisition has closed. No town funds were needed for the purchase. Thank you to the Ellsworth Kelly Foundation for its generous contribution, and seller, Martin Parker, for picking up the closing costs.
- State Route 203: Re-paving of Route 203 is expected to begin in the Spring. Also on roads, more than usual amount of sand and salt was used, and more overtime than usual, all due to the extraordinary snowfall. In 2017 the town's bond comes due and additional road work is needed.
- Austerlitz Firehouse: Construction of the new firehouse is to commence in Spring. The contractor selected is the brother of the Town Supervisor. Supervisor Rob Lagonia made it clear that the Austerlitz Fire Company is a separate entity from the Town, and he had nothing to do with the contract award.
- Town Park Renovation: The town supervisor expects to put the work out for bid next month. The tennis court will be converted to all purpose court, including tennis and basketball, etc. There is also a plan for pavilion with kitchen for community events. Thank you again to the Ellsworth Kelly Foundation.
- Congratulations to Connie Mondel: Our own indefatigable Connie, along with Sally Charron of Ghent, were selected Senior Citizens of the Year for Columbia County!
- Comprehensive Plan Oversight Committee: The Committee has been working on the Hamlet Study, through a survey about parking, sidewalks, etc. The DOT sent representatives from their landscape and design section offering help almost two years ago. The State Road Repair Group wrote the Town regarding any changes in the interim. The next step is to have an open meeting to give the public a chance to participate before roadwork begins.
- Quick additional items: ~Gravel Grinder Cycling event set for Sunday, May 17, 2015. ~Elizabeth Whiteman re-appointed to Board of Assessment Review. ~Town Clerk/Tax Collector and Town Justice Court Audits, by Greg Vogler; these areas came through okay. A State audit of accounts and claims resulted in a good report.
Next meeting, March 19, 2015. Come on out and see your town government at work. (For complete meeting minutes, see the town's web-site: http://austerlitzny.com/2010-town-board-minutes/ )
Your Austerlitz Democratic Committee